Friday, October 2, 2009

Extramarital Affairs Are Now Extracurricular Activities

I took a break after a few hours of study in Philippians this morning to catch up on the news. I read headlines all the time that are saddening, tragic, etc. - the news is filled with those. However, a headline on CNN jumped out at me this morning: "Letterman reveals affairs with staff, extortion try". "No way," I thought. "Another affair goes public?" Yes, another one goes public, but in a very light-hearted, joking manner. After I read the story, I immediately went to YouTube to see if I could see for myself. I found the video below and as I watched, my heart sank. As he admitted his guilt to the audience, they cheered, laughed, and clapped.

This video seems to be a pretty accurate commentary on the American culture where extramarital affairs have simply become extracurricular activities - it's just what people do. He never once mentioned that this was an affair, that he had cheated on his wife, or even what his wife's reaction to all of this was. God often has to take drastic measures in people's lives to get their attention, and although Letterman seems pretty indifferent to this, maybe this will be what wakes him up to his need for Christ - we should pray that it does.

People wonder why God sets up boundaries and rules. Many people think it's simply because God is God and He does what He wants simply to make our lives hard. Wrong. God does things for our good. He knows that if we live fully devoted to Him, our lives will be the best they can possibly be!
That's why he has put these boundaries up:

Hebrews 13:4 - Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 - For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God;


It saddens me to think of the message this gives to kids and even to adults. This was not the was not the way God intended things to be. Maybe this hits home to me because I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to this topic: indulging in it, not living for Christ, but eventually recognizing His plan and reaping the rewards of following His plan for sex and purity within marriage. Although sexual sin has become so commonplace, it's NOT ok and it never will be. God's plan is FAR better!

2 comments:

Anthony said...

That is disgusting! Cheers!? come on America!

Anonymous said...

Although I do agree with your message as a whole, I did want to point out that this 'affair' of David Letterman's was NOT an extramarital one. He was NOT married at the time. I couldn't help but to point this out, as I'm an avid follower of the news.