Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stop reading the Bible like an instruction manual!

If you're like me, you heard this cute acronym in Sunday School:

B.I.B.L.E. stand for
Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth

That's cool and true and easy to remember, but I have a problem with that. Sometimes people fall into the trap of actually reading the Bible like it's just an instruction manual. I don't know about you, but here's how I read an instruction manual:

I read it reluctantly.
I rarely pull out the instruction manual immediately upon opening a product. I've believed my own lies that I can do it without the instructions. I also have never curled up with a cup of coffee, a Snuggie, and a nice instruction manual for some good afternoon reading. I only read the instruction manual when I absolutely have to.
Side note: I've never curled up with a Snuggie. Ever. I intend to keep it that way. No offense to you if you are a Snuggie owner.


I don't read. I skim.
When I reluctantly pull out the instruction manual, I don't read every word. I skim. I quickly look for the table of contents or the 1 page/paragraph/picture I need and flip there. I read the smallest amount of instructions possible to get the job done and get back to assembly.

I forget quickly.
I've never purposely memorized anything from an instruction manual. It's all useless information that takes up space where I could be storing other useless information like what channel/time my favorite TV show comes on or useless statistics (Did you know that only 30% of humans can flare their nostrils?! Interesting, huh? Can you?).

STOP READING THE BIBLE LIKE AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL!
It's a dangerous habit to get into.


Read it daily, not reluctantly.
It contains everything you need to live life in a godly manner (2 Timothy 3:16-17), so read it like it's true!

Don't skim. Read it. Meditate on it.
Always read with pen in hand ready to underline, circle, highlight, and take notes. Go as deep as you can and most importantly, LIVE IT (James 1:22)!

Memorize it!
How can you live a pure life? By memorizing Scripture (Psalm 119:9-11). Sure, maybe you've got John 11:35 down solid, but work on some more. Did you read a verse or a few verses that really spoke to you? Memorize them so you'll have them in the forefront of your mind!

What are your methods of Bible reading?
Have you ever read the whole Bible all the way through? HERE is a reading schedule for 2010 if you want to join us in reading the whole Bible. It only takes 15 minutes per day!

No comments: