Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Your mind is full of something. What is it?

Nehemiah 9:17 - ...they were not mindful of Your wonders that You did among them...

This week has been a whirlwind for us. Two weeks ago, we found out we didn't have a legal church building anymore. Exactly one week ago, we signed the lease on our new building, which gave us about a week and half to fix the place up and throw things together in prep for our first service coming up in 4 days (this Saturday!). In the middle of that, we had Riverfest all day Friday and Saturday last weekend, which took lots of time and preparation as well. We had our first Awaken Church staff meeting last week, spent half a day shopping for a sound system in Nashville to no avail, threw a baby shower, and I even got to guest speak at Xtreme Church on Sunday. Needless to say, time is flying by. When life is this crazy, it's easy to get going so fast that we forget to stop and spend some much-needed time thinking on all that God is doing and has done. I struggled this morning in my prayer time as I sat there thinking of paint, replacing cabinets, mounting a projector screen, setting up kids' classrooms, oh yeah, and also praying. I was so easily distracted from filling my mind with Christ. Of course if God isn't getting through to you with one method, He'll try another. So, as I continued through Nehemiah today, I got to chapter 9, where Nehemiah begins to recount all that God has done for His people from the time of Abraham till then. He talks about God's provision for His people, the miracles He performed, His faithfulness, and of course, His people's unfaithfulness. The part that stood out to me the most was verse 17 as I quoted above. In the midst of the amazing things God was doing, the people had forgotten to stop and take it all in. Other things had distracted them. Their minds were filled with those other things.

Here I am, 4 days away from Awaken's first service. I have literally waited years for this day to come. I never knew quite what it would look like (and I guess I still don't), but I've anticipated it for a long time. And now that I'm going a thousand miles per hour, I have to remind myself of my need to slow down. Psalm 46:10 has always been one of my favorite passages because it's such a simple reminder: BE STILL and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! God WILL be exalted, whether I do it or not. If I don't slow down and take the time to fill my mind with God's greatness and exalt Him for it, He'll still be exalted...it'll just be through someone else or some other method.

Don't let your mind be so filled with the worries of the day that in the midst of God's provision you are not mindful of the wonders He's doing among you. If you can't think of any of the wonders He's doing, take a trip down memory lane and remind yourself of what your eternal destination used to be!

No comments: