Sunday, February 21, 2010

REACH 7: Reaching ANYONE for Christ - Brian "Head" Welch

It's been great so far - we've heard from some great guys about how to reach many different groups of people. I'm really stoked about today's interview from a guy that, 5 years ago, would have never known a thing about reaching people for Christ, but in 2005, that all changed.

Brian "Head" Welch was one of the founding members and the lead guitarist of the multi-platinum rock band, Korn. He was ranked #26 on GUITAR WORLD's list of 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists Of All Time. He made millions of dollars and had the world at his fingertips, but he was depressed, empty, and hooked on drugs. In 2005, that all changed. Today, Brian tours the nation with a ministry called The Whosoevers, reaching out to people who wonder what would make a guy like him throw his whole career away! He has a powerful story and I'm excited to share a little of it with you. We're hoping to bring out The Whosoevers when they tour through this part of the US later on this year. So, read his story now, and you may be able to meet him later this year!

Find out more about The Whosoevers on their website.
Read a Wikipedia article about Brian and his story HERE.
Check out his website HERE.
Order his book online HERE.


1. Introduce yourself. Who are you?
I'm Brian Head Welch, I'm a founding member of the rock band Korn. I quit Korn in 2005 after a spiritual encounter I had with God that delivered me from drugs and empowered me to live for God and my 5 year old daughter instead of money and fame.

2. As someone striving to reach people for Christ, what are some creative ways you've found to be effective?
I've found that just being real and sharing my life with people without sounding christianese works the best whether I'm speaking in front of a crowd or putting out music. Just being real says a lot.

3. When developing your ministry designed to reach the lost, what were some important things you had to keep in mind about those you're reaching out to?
I was a lost soul just a few years ago, so I feel like I kind of know what to say. I used to laugh at Christians. I thought they were crazy, weird, goofy and weak because of what I saw on TV. I always like to share that with people because that's how a lot of outsiders look at Christians. That's how me and my friends did anyway. If people can relate to me talking about how it was weird for me at first, I hope they can relate and be more open to listen.

4. What are some of the challenges you face as you try to reach out to a lost generation and how do you overcome them?
The biggest challenge for me is having people invite me to their town hoping that me, "the guy from Korn," will draw thousands of kids to an event that they put on and save half the town. There's been some people that were let down because they had unrealistic expectations. I can't draw a crowd like they think. It's a lot of pressure on me. That's one reason I like Exit, it's not about me.

5. What are 1 or 2 lessons that you learned the hard way that stand out to you as you reach out to people who need Christ?
Let Holy Spirit lead and stay in peace. If you're too anxious to get someone "saved" they will feel it and want nothing to do with you. Another thing is you have to be ready for a trap. People will sometimes try and set you up for a trap and make it so you don't know how to answer their question or make you say something that's not cool. We need wisdom and we need to train ourselves with God to handle every situation.

6. What challenges did you face as you came out of the scene you were in and began to live for Christ?
I made 2 or 3 million bucks in 2004, then in 2005 after I became Christian, I made under a hundred thousand. Ha Ha, it's true though. Living by faith and not by what you see and feel was the hardest probably. Also, God wanted to bless me, but no one told me He wanted me to die to the things of the world so much. God used a lot of negative circumstances in life to help squeeze fear and anxiety out of me so I can be stronger than I've ever been. I have a song called stronger that will be on my new album that really says it all.

2 comments:

Servy said...

I used to listen to enjoy listening to Korn. I even saw them twice back in the day. It's a much greater joy to read about "Head" preaching! Thanks Kevin and Brian for sharing this! Eph 6:10

paddy'o said...

I have been following Brian for a few years now and it is so awesome that he is running the marathon and not just a sprint and then burnout. I pray for him- God can use him...Isn't that amazing? God uses everyone - JUST AS THEY ARE. Thanks Kev