Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hand-on ministry that doesn't feel hands-on

I was super blessed to be back at Calvary Albuquerque last night. It was so fun to teach to my church family out here. Service wrapped up at 8:30 and I talked to people till 9:45! It was great to talk with people and be encouraged as we shared what's been going on in Clarksville. I was especially encouraged by one of my former mid-school students, Melanie. She loves to pray. To this day I remember when we announced that we were moving, she told me that she committed to pray for me every day. I took that literally. I knew she would. I can't tell you how many times in Clarksville, when times got rough, that I was reminded that Melanie, along with many others, were praying every day for us.

As I talked to her and many others last night who mentioned they were praying for us, I was reminded about the ministry of prayer - it's hands-on ministry that doesn't always feel very hands-on. Most people as they pray don't realize the impact that those simple prayers can have. God listens and God answers. He's a very personal God who knows our every need. But even more practical than that is the simple reminder in my finite mind that someone, somewhere is thinking of us and the ministry we've set out to do and they're talking to Jesus about it. WOW! That is such an encouragement!

Melanie is just one example of many people that are praying for us and the minsitry of Awaken Church. If I tried to mention everyone, I'd leave someone out, so I won't even try. God hears your prayers and we feel your prayers. PLEASE keep them coming! It's easy to think that you need to do something more hands-on - send money, fly out to help with things, etc. While those things are great and very useful, without prayer, they'd be useless. Thanks to everyone who is praying for us. We're so stoked about what God is doing and we'll never know the full impact of those prayers that are prayed so often.

I close with one of my favorite verses:
Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments: