Friday, August 7, 2009

My old stomping grounds

I got to take a trip back to Albuquerque this week. It was short and
sweet- 17 hours. The purpose of the trip was to do a funeral for a
friend that died of ALS, but unfortunately, due to flight delays and
cancellations, I missed the funeral by 3 1/2 hours. I had to call
another pastor friend to do it for me. From what I hear, it was great
and people were so blessed.

Because I got in so late and left so early this morning, I never got
to even see the family I came to see. So sad. It was a fun trip
though- I enjoyed swinging by Calvary Albuquerque where ministry
"officially" began for me (at least on the pastoral level). I enjoyed
my favorite cup of coffee (yes, even better than 'bucks in my
opinion), some green chili and Mexican food that I've missed so much,
as well as some great time with some friends as well as my mom.

It's so refreshing being back at Calvary. I love the staff there- they
are such a dear group of people to me. I got to visit with them for a
little while and they prayed with me as well. Being on campus brought
back many memories. It felt weird leaving as a youth pastor a couple
months ago and coming back as a janitor/church planter. I remember
many trips to the cafe and lots of very fruitful ministry that took
place there. I look forward to being back again next week when I have
the privilege of teaching in the main sanctuary about marriage as well
as doing some friends' wedding.

I prayed so much on my way out here that I'd make my flights and
connect with the family, but unfortunately, it seems that God had
different plans. I have no idea why He didn't work it out but I can
trust in His sovereignty nonetheless. Maybe it was the Catholic guy
and the Seventh Day Adventist lady that I got to talk to on a flight
that I should have never been on. Maybe it was a God-ordained
opportunity for Kerry Rose to do the funeral instead of me. Why it
took me 13 hours to get from Nashville to Albuquerque and only 4 to
get back, I cannot explain. We serve a big God though, and I'm
thankful that ministry continues whether I'm there or not!

I loved my 5 years at Calvary Albuquerque, but I would never trade our
Awaken home Bible study with 9 adults and 11 kids under 5 for
anything. I love what God is doing and I believe His plans for the
future are far bigger than mine ( and I like to think that mine are
big)!

No comments: