Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Personal Preaching Practice

This morning, I preached the Gospel to myself.

Not because I needed to get saved again, but because it's a powerful practice to remind myself where I was headed and what I deserved, then flash forward to where I am headed now and what I get that I don't deserve!

I'm a sinner saved by grace just like everyone else and it's important for me to remember that. Not that we need to dwell on the past (Philippians 3:13 - ...one thing I do, ​​forgetting those things which are behind and ​reaching forward to those things which are ahead..."), but it's pretty mind-blowing and humbling to think of where we came from and, through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ, where we're headed now!

Every once in a while, people ask the question, "Where do you think you'll be in 10 years?" When I was 15, I certainly wouldn't have said "I'll probably live in Clarksville, TN with my wife and 2 kids, where we'll be starting a church." There's no way I could have ever come close. But here I am, faults and all, and God is still using me to do new things here in Clarksville. As I heard Chris Tomlin sing this morning, "Greater things are yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city!" I'm excited to see what those "greater things" are!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Kevin,
My name is Kevin as well. I am the worship leader at Xtreme Ministries. I believe you met my pastor the other day, John Renken. I'm real excited about you being in Clarksville.

One thing you said in this post that I wanted to challenge you on, because we all know unless there is no friction there is no sharpening of the iron.

It's not a big deal but I never did like the phrase "sinner saved by grace" Although I know what is being meant by it, I don't like the phrase. Simply cause it says that we are still seen as sinners when God sees as saints now.

Paul never referred to the church in any of his letters, "To the sinners at..." He always said "To the saints at..."

So just a little tid bit to consider. Just wanted to throw that at ya. Anyway, I hope we can meet sometime. I hear ya might be coming to Xtreme to preach. I'm looking forward. I've already been listening to you podcasts and I think your great.

See ya then!

Kevin Riner
www.rinermusic.com